Monday, October 16, 2017

Maiale Arrostito Nel Latte -- Pork Roasted in Milk (part 2)

Yesterday I posted the Artusi version of Pork Roasted in Milk.  Today I am posting the translator's variation as Part 2.

The book is Pellegrino Artusi's The Art of Eating Well.  Yesterday's post describes the book and its history and impact on Italy's culture.  Read it!  Amazing!

ISBN 0-679-43056-3
The variation, on page 318:

Maiale Arrostito Nel Latte -- Pork Roasted in Milk (part 2)

Cut the zest from a lemon, in thin strips, and sliver 2 cloves of garlic.  Stick the pork with the lemon and garlic, tie it with string, and rub it with salt and pepper.  Brown it in 2 tablespoons of oil, turning it frequently, and then add the milk.  Reduce the heat and simmer the meat until done, turning occasionally, and stirring the curds that will form to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Continue cooking until the milk has almost completely evaporated, about 45 minutes, then remove the roast and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Slice it thin, spoon the curds over the slices, and serve.

My Notes

I did not have any fresh lemon or garlic in my kitchen at the time (how embarrassing!).  But I did have a store-bought mixture of lemon peel, dried garlic, salt, and pepper.  I rubbed the outside of the pork loin with a generous amount of it.  The meat weighed about 1 1/2 pounds.

I browned the meat in a cast iron skillet in about 2 tablespoons of oil, turning it to brown it all over the wide sides.  Then I added about 2 cups of whole milk.

This recipe does not call for the meat and milk mixture to be covered, which is why I decided to cook it in the skillet.

Right after the milk was added.
I raised the heat to bring the milk to a boil then reduced it to make the milk simmer.  It was a challenge to turn the meat because it was so easy to splash the liquid out of the pan (yes, it happened!).  After about 45 minutes, I saw mostly curds in the simmering milk.

Just before removing the meat.
The meat sat, covered, while I simmered the liquid for a little while longer to reduce it.  The curds became dominant and beautifully light brown.

Curds and liquid.
When I sliced the pork, I discovered that it was not completely cooked inside.  I took what I could off the ends and served it with some of the curds and liquid spooned over the top.
With a parsley garnish, of course!

The Verdict

The meat was moist.  The lemon and garlic flavors came through lightly and created a gentle blast on the taste buds.  The curd sauce had a meaty flavor.  It was great!  My guest tasters and I agreed it was a better experience than the Artusi recipe.  Don't get me wrong:  we liked Artusi's version.  But this was definitely the better of the two.  Success!

We ate what was available and enjoyed every bite.  I took the part that wasn't cooked thoroughly and put it back in the liquid.  It simmered while we ate dinner.  That cooked it and it wasn't dry.

Both versions made excellent leftovers, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment