Friday, December 15, 2017

Scott H.'s Grandma's Molasses Cookies -- A Most Favorite Recipe

I reserve the last post of the year for one of my most favorite recipes.  This one came to me from a man I worked with on an archaeological dig in 2002.  Scott H. brought these to share one day and they have such a good, rich, spicy flavor that I asked him for the recipe.  He told me they reminded him of all the times he spent with his grandmother.

Scott H.'s Grandma's Molasses Cookies

6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses (not dark)
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
additional sugar in which to roll the balls


Preheat over to 375 degrees F.

Melt butter and shortening together.  Cool.

Add sugar, molasses, and egg -- beat well.

Sift all dry ingredients together and then add slowly to the liquid ingredients.  Mix well.

Chill the dough until firm -- about one hour.

Roll dough into 1 inch balls.  Roll the balls in sugar to coat evenly.  Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes.

Cool slightly in pan and then remove to a rack.  

Makes about 3 dozen cookies that are great to dunk in milk!

My Notes

I took this picture of the butter and shortening melting together because I thought they made a pretty pattern.


When I think of dark molasses, I think of black strap molasses, which is very strong in flavor.  The molasses I use here might look dark but it is not too strong.  This is the step where all the liquid ingredients are mixed.


Sometimes I make these cookies into balls.  When they bake they spread enough to come out round and look very professional.  But I also like to roll the dough into a log, chill it, and then slice off the dough and bake it.  It is faster but still tastes good.  You get the added bonus of being able to make the logs in advance, freeze them, and then make the cookies when you need them. 


I slice them to about 1/4 inch thick.  They spread a little so I give them room in the pan.  Instead of rolling them in sugar, I sprinkle them.  This time I used a cinnamon sugar mix.

Sliced, sprinkled, and ready to bake! 
The challenge is always getting the timing right for baking.  My notes in my cookbook include times for various pans and ovens I have had.  This is the first time I have baked these cookies in my new oven, so I was feeling cautious.  I baked the first batch for 9 minutes.

They came out over-baked:  too brown and dry.  They still tasted good but I like them softer.  So the second batch baked for 7 minutes and I like them much better.

7 minutes on the left, 9 minutes on the right.
I think the flavor is better and, of course, they are softer.

The third batch also baked for 7 minutes but I didn't sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar just for comparison.  This is the plateful I took to a party.  They were well received.

Unsprinkled on the very top.

The Verdict

Success, of course!  These are wonderful cookies.  They are perfect for the Christmas holidays, with all their spices and rich molasses flavors.  They are sweet but not too sweet.  In the past I have put a light, powdered sugar glaze on them after they came out of the oven.  Sometimes I use water and powdered sugar and sometimes I use lemon juice instead of water.  Either way, they are a good accompaniment and remind me of the cookies my grandmother used to give me when I was little.

I hope you enjoy them for their simplicity in making, their convenient storage, and their lovely flavor.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy, just curious how the egg preservation turned out from last year. Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy, just curious how the egg preservation turned out from last year. Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi OldeFoodFan! Thanks for asking and the compliment. I am sad to say that during my very busy time last summer and fall, I completely forgot about the eggs. When I looked in on them recently, they were pretty moldy and disgusting. So I can say with confidence that they don't last one year. (Ack!) I wish I had tracked them as carefully as I had planned when I started.

    ReplyDelete