Monday, October 15, 2018

Veal (Chicken) in Grape Leaves -- another recipe from the Transylvanian cookbook

It is time to pick a recipe from the Transylvanian Prince's Cookbook!

This is the digital translation of a book in Hungarian that I have tried recipes from before.  Here is the book reference:

The Prince of Transylvania’s court cookbook 

From the 16th century 

THE SCIENCE OF COOKING


You can find a copy of it here:  http://www.medievalcookery.com/etexts/transylvania-v2.pdf

The recipes I have tried are here:  Prince of Transylvania's court cookbook

Today I picked recipe number 81, found on page 20.


Veal in grape leaves. 

Cut the roast veal like they cut dumplings (chopped into a fine mince); slice some bacon, add some black pepper and eggs, if you have no eggs, ‘tis no problem, for the grape leaves hold it (Hold them together in their shape) , but the grape leaves are good only if they are weak (Weak: young and/or tender), put meat balls onto the leaves, fold them, put it in the pot, pour beef broth on top then cook it, add some black pepper and serve it with the grape leaves. 


My Redaction

The first decision I made was to use chicken instead of veal.  It is more available and less expensive.  Because of this, I chose to use chicken broth instead of beef broth.

The directions say to "cut the roast veal", so I chose to use cooked chicken.  What I had on hand was chicken thighs that had been marinated and grilled, so I removed the skin and cut the meat off the bones.  It was this that I weighed for the ingredients list below.

1 lb cooked chicken meat
1/4 lb bacon
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten

grape leaves (preserved) for wrapping
chicken broth to cover 

And chicken broth
First I chopped the chicken meat into a fine mince.  I chopped it until the pieces seemed to be small enough that they would stick together if moistened with a beaten egg.

I chopped in batches and made tiny bits.
Then I chopped the bacon, but it wasn't chopped quite as fine.



I sprinkled the pepper over the two meats and mixed it all well.

Pre-egg.  A fluffy mass.
Then I poured the beaten egg over it all and mixed well again.  When I took a small handful of the mixture and squeezed it, it compressed and stayed in the ball shape I pressed it into.

Barely moist and perfect for holding the mixture together.
The grape leaves were taken out of their jar and rinsed several times with fresh water.  This didn't separate them all completely, so I put them into a big bowl of water while I worked with them so they could continue to be rinsed of their brine and any dirt that might have gotten on them.  This worked well.

One grape leaf was positioned on my cutting board with the stem away from me.

I put all of them with the veins up, towards me.
I took a big spoonful of the filling and placed it on the leaf.

With practice, I knew where to put the mixture for easy wrapping.
My fingers were very handy for slightly compressing the filling.  This showed me how much space the filling really needed and made it easier to wrap.

Later I found putting the filling lower than this worked better for wrapping without losing filling.
I folded the sides over the filling, then pulled the stem side over the filling and tucked it gently against the filling.  Next I rolled the leaf over itself until I had a tidy little bundle.

The leaf wrapped around the filling to about the same size as the filling.
The bundles were stacked in layers in my big kettle.  It turned out that 28 fit snugly into the bottom, then I turned the kettle and started stacking the bundles in a second layer.

The first layer
The quantity of filling made 40 bundles.

A layer and a bit more of another
That left me with many, many grape leaves still sitting in the jar.  Did I really want to stop there?  No!  So I made a second filling, modifying the original recipe with a few extra ingredients.  While making the first batch of bundles I kept thinking, "This needs fruit!  It needs nuts!  It needs something sour!"  So the second filling was 9 ounces of minced chicken meat (from thinly sliced deli chicken breast), 3 ounces bacon, 1 teaspoon pepper, a small handful of barberries (zareshk) soaked in hot water for a few minutes then drained, a small handful of pine nuts, and 1 egg.

Wetter than the first mix because 1 egg was used for a smaller quantity.
This filling made another 30 bundles.  At that point I stopped making more and concentrated on cooking them.

I poured about 20 ounces of chicken broth over the layers in the kettle.  This didn't quite cover them all, but the highest ones still had broth up to about their half-way point.

Not covered but close.
I covered the kettle, brought the broth up to a gentle simmer, and set the timer for 30 minutes.  I checked on them several times at first -- I had to lower the heat to keep the simmer from turning into a boil.  But after that they had about 20 minutes of uninterrupted, covered cooking.

Once the cooking was through, I removed the lid and let them cool a little.

Cooked and cooled.
They were then easy to remove from the kettle (with tongs!) and to stack on a plate for serving.  I noticed a lot of the broth had been absorbed into the bundles.

As per the original directions, I sprinkled a very little bit of pepper over the tops of the stack.  I just used a pinch of pepper across the tops.

Once stacked, a lot of the broth settled at the bottom, which I drained off before serving.

The Verdict

I served them with chardonnay wine.  Yes, that was all!




We tried the original recipe first, and it was still warm from the kettle.  Oh. My.  It was wonderful!  I was astonished at how good it tasted:  juicy, and rich in meaty and peppery flavors.  The bacon had made it just right with the salt balance.  The pepper came through but was not overwhelming.  The texture was a little chewy (nice!), the leaves were tender, and one bundle was two or three bites -- perfect.

The modified recipe was also very good:  all the same flavors as the original but with a little more resistance to the tooth from the pine nuts and a charming, little burst of sour from the barberries.  My guest taster declared that to be the best part and so the modified was his favorite.  He thought the original was definitely sweeter than the modified but not in a bad way.

I loved them both equally.  I liked the burst of sour and the pine nut but I also liked eating the original as a counterpoint to not having the burst.  The original really had the bacon-and-chicken blend as its emphasis, which appealed to me.

I think I could do without the light sprinkling of pepper on the bundles.  A few times I felt the pepper was too dominant, and it had to have been because of the sprinkling.  I think if I were to do that again, I would either skip it or put on even less.

So success!  A marvelous success!  It was easy to make (the rolling of the bundles was actually a contemplative time for me) and the results were excellent.

Extras:  They were good warmed up the next day, served with toast and melon.  They were good cold, right out of the refrigerator, too.  The pepper flavor really came through then, as a bite on the tongue.  If you don't like that, use 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons in the filling.

Side note:  The broth itself, what was left over in the kettle, was also very tasty.  Worth sipping!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, those sound delicious...I could see having a few of them for breakfast this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were and I did! They were perfect light snacks, too, when I needed a few calories but not a full meal. I think they would make excellent appetizers, and could be made in advance.

    ReplyDelete