Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Cheesy Chile Relleno Puff - A Most Favorite Redo

The last post of the year is reserved for one of my favorite recipes.  In 2018 I made a chile relleno souffle that was a lot like a favorite recipe I have made for decades.  The reason I used that particular recipe is that I lost the original recipe (several times, actually) but found this version.

Recently I was sorting a stack of handwritten recipes I had received from my mom when she closed down her household.  There I found my original recipe, which I had written for her years ago.  Hooray for Mom!  I knew then I needed to make it again.

I wrote this years and years ago.

Cheesy Chile Relleno Puff   (4 servings)

7 ounce can whole green chiles

4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

6 eggs, slightly beaten

3/4 cup milk

1 tbsp. flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp garlic salt

4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded

That is a white cheddar sitting on top of the Monterey Jack.

In a greased 7" x 11" baking dish, layer split chiles and Monterey Jack cheese.  Combine eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, and garlic salt; mix well.  Pour over chiles, top with Cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes until puffed and browned.

Serve with Chile Sauce:

8 ounce can tomato sauce

1/4 cup hot picante sauce

1 tsp oregano

(Mix and heat for 5 minutes)


Good with warm flour tortillas or with tortilla chips and guacamole.

Enjoy!


My Notes

I use Ortega or Anaheim chiles as they are mild enough in heat that I can serve it to just about anyone.  They have a distinct flavor that makes this puff tasty.

Also, instead of using garlic salt, I put in 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp salt.  It is okay to use more.

The layers, in order:





Although I used a glass baking dish, I did not change the temperature of the oven.  Even at 350 degrees F, it took 40 minutes to get the puff browned.

My tastes have changed over the years so I no longer make the Chile Sauce, although it is good. 

I prefer to serve it with a tasty, chunky salsa (I use mild but you could choose hotter), home made guacamole (with seasoned salt and lime juice), and a spoonful of sour cream.


The Verdict

It was very puffy coming out of the oven but settled afterwards.  I suspect my baking powder is getting old as I recall it staying puffy (or at least puffier) when served.  But never mind.  It still looks good and tastes wonderful!

You can't beat the egg, chile, cheese combination.  It is flavorful with a creamy and rich mouthfeel.  The toppings just add to the variety of tastes, and they all work together well.

Think of it as an omelet or fritatta with a Mexican twist.  

You could use more of the chiles to get a thicker layer.  Just be careful not to overwhelm the egg and cheese flavors with them.  

Yellow Cheddar makes this dish more attractive to the eye but the sharp white Cheddar I used was very good.  I think the sharper the Cheddar the better it works with the strong chile flavor.

I laughed at first when I read that it served four:  it is cooked in a big dish for four people.  I thought maybe it should be for eight people.  

But the recipe is right -- four people will probably want to have two pieces each of this flavorful main course, even with side dishes like a good salad or an appetizer like tortilla chips and salsa.  

It is always a success.  Give it a try!





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete