Monday, July 1, 2024

Guisado de patatas -- Potato Stew, a Pinedo recipe

It's time for another Pinedo recipe!  Today's choice is on page 114, in the Guisados or Stews section.  


My Translation

Potato stew.

         Raw potatoes are peeled, diced, fried in fat, and set aside. Onion, tomato, chopped parsley are fried, and boiling water, salt, pepper, and oregano are added. In this sauce put the fried potatoes with two or three tablespoons of grated cheese, letting them boil over a moderate heat.

My Redaction

3 pounds potatoes

5 tablespoons butter

1 medium onion

a little olive oil

1 1/4 pounds tomatoes

4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups boiling water

3 tablespoons grated cheese, more for garnish

And butter, olive oil, and boiling water

Heat a little butter in a frying pan while peeling and cubing the first potato.  Fry those pieces over medium heat, adding a little more butter as needed to keep them from sticking to the pan.  Stir occasionally, but let the pieces sit on the pan so they develop a golden crust.  The goal is to brown them.

Once they are browned, remove them to a bowl.  Repeat for each of the potatoes.

When the last batch of potato pieces are cooking, heat a little olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.  Peel and chop the onion, then cook it over medium low heat until translucent.

Core and dice the tomatoes and finely chop the fresh parsley.  Add to the onions and continue to cook them until most of the liquid has boiled off.

Add the oregano, salt, pepper, and boiling water.  Mix well and simmer until the tomatoes are falling apart.

Add the potatoes and stir well.  Add the grated cheese.  Let simmer over low heat until the raw tomato flavor is gone and the stew tastes balanced.  Adjust the salt and pepper amounts as needed.  

Serve with a little grated cheese on top as garnish.

My Notes

I chose to use butter for frying the potatoes and olive oil for the sauce.  You can choose whatever you'd like!  I kept the amount of fat in the pan to a minimum so that I could get a good golden crust on the pieces.

I did not peel the tomatoes, but you might want to if you don't like pieces of skin in your stew.

I used grated asiago cheese, but I think cheddar, parmesan, or romano would also work well.

The sauce was thin until the potatoes were added, then it thickened to a good consistency.

The first batch, nearly done


Onions, tomatoes, and parsley, oh my!

All together now.  Let the simmer begin.

The Verdict

I served it with a little asiago as a garnish.  My guest taster would have been unhappy with a meal that didn't have meat, so I included a grilled boneless chicken thigh as a side dish.

Yum!

I really enjoyed the potato flavor in the stew.  It was like eating French fries in a sauce, which I liked.  The sauce was very mild; it was a background flavor to the potatoes.  I could taste the complexity of the tomatoes, onions, herbs, and spices, as could my guest taster.  However, we both described it as mild, not earth-shattering.  But it was still tasty!

We both added a little more salt and agreed that it would be best to let each person salt it to their taste at the table than to add more salt to the stew.  I think a little more pepper would be a good idea -- perhaps bump it up to 1 teaspoon to give it a little blast.

I'm not sure I would add the grated cheese to the stew again.  It didn't seem to contribute much to the flavor.  But adding some on top was nice.

Success!

It was not a spectacular meal, but they don't all have to be.  It was tasty, filling, and interesting with potatoes as a main base.  I see this stew as either a main dish or a side to some roast meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment