Thursday, August 1, 2024

Costillas de carnero panadas -- Breaded Mutton Ribs, a Pinedo recipe

This particular Pinedo recipe appealed to me for several reasons:  it was a main dish using lamb (which I love) and it looked so simple -- just three ingredients!  I know the recipe says "mutton", but I could only obtain lamb, so I did my best.

I obtained a rack of lamb that was small, given that only two of us to eat the meal.  

Original recipe, pgs 86-87:



My Translation

Breaded Mutton Ribs

    Butter is melted and the ribs are put in it for a quarter of an hour. Before serving they are put over a very live fire, being careful to turn them when they have browned on one side.

    They are arranged in the shape of a crown, set aside and sprinkled with breadcrumbs on both sides, taking care that they are well covered.

    They are immediately placed in a platter, with breadcrumbs on top and bottom, and a quarter of an hour before serving they are put on the grill over a very active fire, being careful not to cook or burn the bread. 

 

My Redaction

1.7 pound rack of lamb's ribs

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter (I used salted)

1/2 to 3/4 cup dried bread crumbs

That's all, folks!
Over medium heat, melt the butter in a pan wide enough to hold the rack of ribs.  

Place the ribs in the melted butter over medium-low heat.  I had it just hot enough that the meat in the butter had bubbling going on.  Set the timer for 15 minutes.

At 7 1/2 minutes into the cooking, flip the ribs to cook on the other side.  

Remove the ribs from the butter.  Place them over a hot fire on the grill to cook them further and to brown them.

Remove from the grill, roll them into a crown with the rib ends up, tying it with a string to hold the shape.

Coat them thickly with all the breadcrumbs that will stick to the meat.  Take back to the grill to cook them more, allowing the heat to turn the crumb coating into a crispy, golden crust, but not burned.

Serve and enjoy!

My Notes

My thought was that most of the cooking was done in the butter, since the fire on the grill was supposed to be "lively", i.e., hot.  That is why I kept the temperature low enough to keep from cooking the outside too quickly.  My meat did brown, though.

Before cooking in the butter.

After 7.5 minutes.  One side browned.
Fifteen minutes was not enough to cook the thickest part of the meat, but it did cook it about halfway into that thickness.  

I was confused by her wording as I wasn't sure if the ribs would be cooked twice on the grill or not.  I chose to cook them twice because I thought that otherwise there would not be enough time for the meat to be cooked.  My goal with the first time on the grill was to get the meat browner and to cook the meat further.

Goal achieved!
My rack was too small to roll into a crown shape.  On the other hand, it was easy to coat with the breadcrumbs.

As many crumbs as would stick.
When I returned the meat to the grill, I turned the heat down so as not to burn the crumbs and to give them a chance to change from dried crumbs to something else.  The crumbs absorbed the butter and the fat in the meat to make a crust. 

Mmmm.  Look at that crust.
I think I probably rushed the second grilling, not giving it a full 15 minutes (timing it was a challenge while I was fixing other dishes for the meal).  I wish I had given it more time as I could see some pink to the meat.

The Verdict

I cut the rack into individual rib pieces and served it with flavored couscous and a sliced tomato salad.

And a nice pinot noir.
Some of the meat was rare, which my guest taster and I like, and some was very rare, I would saw raw, which my guest taster likes but I am not fond of.  I mostly served the rare pieces and set the raw bits aside for reheating (and thus more cooking) later.

The flavor was amazing.  For all that it was just meat, butter, and breadcrumbs, it was wonderful.  I think the salted butter was the right choice, even for someone like me who is not a big salt eater.  It bumped up the taste enough to make it more than "just meat."

The crumb crust added a lovely crunch to each bite, the butter was a subtle background flavor without being greasy, and the meat was tender and ... meaty ...  

We enjoyed our meal, and my guest taster said he would eat this dish any time I wanted to fix it.  We each cut the meat off the bone with our knives and forks, but had no restraint about holding the bones with our fingers to finish nibbling off the last bites.  

Success!  And put a bowl on the table to hold the discarded bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment